(the below is a draft for a bigger article, it is my answer to the survey of why I uninstalled Firefox)
Using Edge on Windows, Safari on MacOS and Samsung internet on my Samsung phone... I wanted a full cohesive and "one" experience but did not get it... there´s no way to be comfortable with just ONE browser across all the devices.
- Chrome has no support for addons on android and its not really cutomizable. Also I'm scared of Google.
- Safari run only on macOS and iOS, so impossible to install outside the Apple ecosystem.
- Opera is out of the competition for me, not really my cup of tea.
- Edge is so far the best option, really fast with actually lot of options. My main concern is Microsoft/Google being behind.
- Firefox was my weapon of choice for years, but was always tweaking it and finally got tired. Several pages did not work as they should, could not install webapps/progressive apps on desktop (even on android they work weirdly) and also no native translation tool making the internet a really un-friendly place for those of us that "only" speak 3 languages (Spanish/French/English).
- Samsung internet actually gets the job done pretty well on my phone, ad blockers (not ublock but adblock plus is still a fairly good tool), stop media from auto-play (love Firefox for this one), dark mode (this one is actually hugely appreciated, was using dark reader on Edge and Firefox but samsung internet has it included by default and works without flaws - without making your browser sluggish as hell!). Is really a good option for Android, one that I recommend (no integrated translation though).
All in all, I had to use 3rd party tools for getting my life in sync:
- 1Password for all my -and my family- password to keep in sync. Tried to use different tools but none was nearly as good as 1Password. Lockwise has still a long way to go, is very buggy.
- Raindrop for all my bookmarks/articles. Pocket was supposed to do this... but it has ads and you cannot create folders! (and you don't have plans to implement that).
Both of the apps above run everywhere I need them and do the job as I want, leaving me enough space for using which every browser works best on each OS.
Home for Firefox is Ubuntu... and even there, it does not the job as well as, for example, Chrome
Sad, but true.
No hay comentarios.:
Publicar un comentario